Hillvale Gallery is excited to announce that we’re accepting our first Expressions of Interest (EOIs). We're seeking proposals from local photographic artists for our open exhibition program to be held from July to November 2020.
We aim to support the development of emerging photographic practice across all forms of photography and invite artists to submit proposals for solo, collective or curated group shows.
EOIs will be assessed by a selection committee of local artists and curators. There is no fee to apply.
Who can apply
Our objective is to provide opportunities for local photographic artists, and as such, this round of EOIs is currently only open to Australian residents working within a photographic practice. Hillvale Gallery is committed to providing a culturally inclusive and accessible space. We strongly encourage applicants from Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander communities, culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, all abilities and socially marginalised groups.
Thursday 5 March: Applications open
Saturday 25 April: Applications close
Friday 15 May: All applicants notified
Hillvale Gallery is an artist-run space that aims to support, elevate and exhibit emerging local artists working in the area of photography and lens-based image making.
Previous solo exhibitions include Sarah Pannell’s Tabriz to Shiraz (2019) and Ryan Cookson’s Tell Them About Me (2019). We’ve held group exhibitions such as Dysturb’s Where I Lay My Head (2017) and Hillvale's Keep The Fire Burning (2018), and launched projects such as the Flat Film Archive (2017). We’ve also supported Photography Studies College and the Centre for Multicultural Youth with space for graduate shows and creative development.
In 2013 we started Hillvale Photo, our dedicated photo lab, and since then we’ve met many amazing photographers. Hillvale Photo was built by photographers for photographers and this is the same approach we aim to bring to our gallery — a space that supports our values at the lab, including affordability, accessibility and enabling photographers a place to express their practice.
Hillvale acknowledges and pays respect to the Wurundjeri people of the Kulin nation, the traditional custodians of the land on which Hillvale is built and operates. We pay our respect to Elders both past, present and future and acknowledge that sovereignty has never been ceded.
Hillvale Gallery is located at 342D Albert Street Brunswick. This is also where we house Hillvale Photo’s black and white dip-and-dunk processor and other machinery. Our gallery is wheelchair accessible, however there is no accessible toilet onsite. Please view our gallery floor plan for further details.
All proposals must be made through our online proposal form. Please ensure you have prepared the following materials:
- Proposal details including project title, concept, description of work, and artist bio (maximum 250 words each)
- A single page CV for each participating artist/s
- Up to 10 supporting images (combined as a single PDF less than 10MB)
Exhibition fees are as follows:
- Gallery cost: $600
- 20% commission to be taken by Hillvale Gallery on all sales
- A two-week exhibition (proposed gallery opening hours Friday to Sunday, 12-4pm)
- One week total installation and de-installation time and support
- Curatorial development and assistance
- Design of exhibition collateral and branding support, including printed vinyl/foam core mounted signage, printed room sheet and printed gallery A-frame
- Event distribution and promotion through Hillvale Gallery’s Facebook and Instagram channels, as well as in-store at Hillvale Photo
- Opening night event with supplied bar and bar staff
- Exhibition documentation
- Use of gallery movable walls
- Staffing of the gallery on Fridays, including the facilitation of sales
Terms and conditions
- Hillvale Gallery provides installation support to successful applicants, however installation and de-installation remains the responsibility of the exhibitor
- Any gallery customisation including but not limited to painting and additional construction may incur additional fees and will need to be discussed with Hillvale Gallery
- The artist is responsible for sitting the exhibition on weekends
- Proposed gallery opening hours for shows are Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, 12-4pm
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your application please contact Hillvale Gallery at email@example.com. Thank you!